Investigate the market
There's plenty of money to save on your fixed costs. Taxes, renovation waste water charges are costs you cannot control. However, there are plenty of other fixed costs you can optimise. I'll cost you a few hours of work and then you will be in control for some time.
Streaming, tv and phones
- Do you use all your streaming services?
- Move all phone subscriptions to a cheaper provider.
- Change your TV packages, when your kids no longer wathc the very expensive children's channels - or cancel the subscription if no-one watches flow TV.
Periodically I cancel our subscriptions to streaming services (e.g. in summer) and change my phone provider every 18 months. Do not accept offers by phone, but ask for a written offer. None of the phone companies are keen on this, however there is plenty of money to save, especially if you are more persons in your household and if you can combine it with a TV or streaming package.
Bank, loans and insurance
Loans and mortgages is something most of have. Consumer loans however, are unnecessary and insanely expensive.
- Contact your bank to have all you banking businesses with them and restructure your loans.
- Check all of your insurances at least every third year.
Ask two to three banks and insurance companies. Their fees are subject to negotiation - pressure them for a good deal. Having a bank account is not for free, do you know what the fees are in your current bank? Do you have the correct insurances? Maybe you don't have two cars any longer, or the kids have moved out. Ask for comparable quotations from each bank and insurance company.
Fitness and Sport Clubs
Do you also sign a membership for a fitness centre, but you "never have the time" to use it? Save loads of money by walking, running and exercising outside. Do you use you membership of the tennis club?Many clubs offer day cards or vouchers. Call and investigate what the possibilities are.